Get involved – how to start a scheme
If you are interested in starting a scheme in your area, simply follow these 6 steps:
NOTE: SCHEMES ONLY OPERATE IN A 20, 30 OR 40 MPH SPEED LIMIT
- A Parish Council, or a Formal Action Group, within Leicestershire must request to become part of the scheme. Register your interest with the Community Speed Watch Co-ordinator on 0116 3057233 or click here to get in touch.
- There must be a suitable and safe area(s) for the speed checks to be held. The final say is with your local County Council Officer after consultation with the local co-ordinator.
- There must be a minimum of 200 signatures obtained or 20% of the village/location population (whichever is the lower) to support the scheme. A Pledge document is available for downloading: please click here to download (PDF format).
- There must be a minimum of 6 people to take part as Community Speed Watch Volunteers, the more there are the easier it is to operate. All volunteers must attend the training in order to be able to take part. One volunteer should be identified as a co-ordinator and another as a deputy. The co-ordinator should have access to e-mail and one member of the group should be able to complete a spreadsheet in a timely manner.
- Identify a site locally for the training to take place, Parish Rooms or Halls have been used and are ideal.
- When all the above is in place the Parish Council or Formal Action Group can contact the Community Speed Watch Coordinator to discuss available dates.